+ 420 326 362 122
V Sobotce najdete spoustu dokladů lidové architektury. Jedním z nich je Gansův dům, který stojí na náměstí Míru. Tato stavba, s číslem popisným 129, pochází z 18. století a je posledním z původních roubených měšťanských domů. Hned za Malým náměstím v Šolcově ulici najdete Šolcův statek z roku 1811, který patří mezi nejzachovalejší doklady lidové architektury v Českém ráji. Roku 1838 se v něm narodil český básník Václav Šolc. V roce 1974 zde potom byla založena galerie výtvarného umění, která každoročně nabízí nejméně čtyři výstavy. Jejich organizaci v roce 2005 od předešlého majitele převzalo občanské sdružení „Přátelé Šolcova statku.“ Roku 2009 k zavedeným výstavním prostorám přibylo lapidárium, na něž byla adaptována přilehlá maštal.
Další původní domy najdete také v Humprechtské ulici, kde je Vránův dům, a v Novoměstské ulici, kde se nachází dům u Sv. Anny.
Středověké nymburské hradby v lokalitě Na Přístavě tvoří typické panorama města, doplněné štíhlou kamennou věží gotického chrámu sv. Jiljí. Park pod nimi patří k nejvyhledávanějším místům města, kde se také koná celá řada kulturních akcí.
Hradby, spolu s vodním příkopem, Malými Valy, začaly být budovány zanedlouho po založení města králem Přemyslem Otakarem II. (t.j. po roce 1275). Největšího stavebního rozmachu město ale doznalo za vlády krále Václava II. na přelomu 13. a 14. století. Nymburk, tehdy uváděný jako Neuenburch či Neuenburg (podle gotického "Nového Hradu", který stával na místě dnešního okresního soudu), byl postupně obehnán mohutnou cihelnou hradbou s asi 45 pravidelně rozmístěnými hranolovými věžemi, směrem do města otevřenými. Hradební zeď byla téměř 1 600 metrů dlouhá a dosahovala výšky 7 - 8 m, věže byly o 3 m vyšší. Vstupům do města sloužily čtyři hlavní průjezdné věže - Svatojiřská, Velelibská a Bobnická a Labská či Mostecká brána. Tato poslední brána byla největší a svíraly ji dvě boční věže nestejné velikosti. Brána střežila vstup do města z dřevěného mostu přes Labe. Vybudována byla v souvislosti se stavbou nového dřevěného mostu přes Labe v poslední fázi výstavby opevnění města, asi kolem roku 1335. Pátá brána se nazývala Fortna (viz dnešní ulice Na Fortně) a zajišťovala přístup k řece (zřejmě zde byl původní vstup do města přes starý most, který nahradil pravěký brod přes řeku). Všechny brány byly, bohužel, během 19. a počátku 20. století, postupně zbořeny kvůli rozšiřování a úpravám silnic. Patrně až po husitských válkách, ve 2. polovině 15. či na počátku 16. století, byl v rámci modernizace opevnění vybudován druhý, značně širší hradební příkop (Velké Valy) a vnější kamenná (opuková) zeď. (Spolehlivé písemné prameny o stavebním vývoji hradeb během středověku ovšem bohužel chybí.). Vnější zeď byla celá vystavěna z opuky a proto byla na rozdíl od "červené" cihelné nazývána "bílou". Dochovaly se z ní jen zcela nepatrné zbytky.
Opevnění Nymburka je zajímavé svým stavebním materiálem - pevnou pálenou cihlou. Užití cihel je dáno především polohou sídla v labské rovině, kde se prakticky žádný trvanlivý stavební kámen nevyskytoval, kromě opuky, dobývané z druhohorního křídového podloží (mořské usazeniny). Líce hlavní hradby s věžemi a branami byly vyzděny z velmi odolných cihel (podle odborného odhadu jich bylo třeba asi 1 milion), jádro zdiva tvořila neméně odolná vyzdívka z opukových kamenů a kvalitní vápenné malty. Z cihel, jejichž užití přinesli do Nymburka především dolnorýnští kolonisté, byly tehdy postaveny jen nejvýznamnější objekty města: hradby, věže a brány, kostel a Kamenný dům (hrad).
Vzhled úseku opevnění na jižní straně města, u Labe "Na Přístavě", by mohl svádět k domnění, že takto vypadaly celé městské hradby. Rozhodně tomu tak nebylo. Hradby měly zakončení rovnou pultovou stříškou, strmě skloněnou směrem dovnitř, do města, ochoz chyběl. Obránci města tak mohli využívat pouze otevřené věže. Cimbuří, které můžeme vidět na úseku hradby u Labe, je tedy nepůvodní a vzniklo, snad jako romantická představa arch. Ludvíka Láblera, který rekonstrukční práce pro město v letech 1905-1909 prováděl. Velmi kvalitní cihly na tuto obnovu dodávala schwarzenbergská cihelna v Sedlci u Kutné Hory.
Vnější obvodový vodní příkop, Velké Valy, spolu s pravým břehem Labe přesně vymezuje hranici historického jádra, které bylo v roce 1995 vyhlášeno městskou památkovou zónou. Zachovaný středověký půdorys města a Malé a Velké Valy, kterými dodnes proudí říční voda, jsou v českém prostředí zcela unikátní historickou památkou.
V létech 2000 - 2006 byly péčí města mnohamilionovým nákladem opraveny všechny úseky hradeb, které město vlastní, tj. v ulici Hradební, Tyršova a Na Přístavě. Nejvýznamnější památka Nymburka je připravena odolávat zubu času. Není však připravena odolávat útokům hloupých vandalů, kteří ji už několikrát poničili nástřikem, který se dá jen velmi těžko z porézních cihel odstranit a stojí město nemalé peníze.
Nymburské opevnění je prvořadá městská památka, důležitá zastávka na naučné turistické trase městem i vítaná zastávka na frekventované cyklostezce podél řeky Labe.
Klatovské katakomby jsou označením pro krypty pod klatovským jezuitským kostelem zasvěceným Neposkvrněnému početí Panny Marie a sv. Ignácovi.
Krypty pod klatovským jezuitským kostelem zasvěceným Neposkvrněnému početí Panny Marie a sv. Ignácovi, dnes známé jako klatovské katakomby, byly budovány jako součást stavby kostela v létech 1656 – 1676. Podle plánů stavitelů se staly pohřebištěm příslušníků jezuitského řádu a jeho dobrodinců z řad místní šlechty, vojska, měšťanů. V létech 1676 – 1783 do nich bylo uloženo k věčnému spánku více než 200 zemřelých. V roce 1784 panovník Josef II zakázal pohřbívání v kryptách, a tak posledním zde pohřbeným se stal v roce 1783 Antonín Weichs. Zřejmě nejznámějším z pohřbených je Pater Adalbert Chanovský z Dlouhé Vsi, misionář působící v jihozápadních Čechách v 1.polovině 17. století.
Těla položená na hoblinách v dubových rakvích byla obložena chmelem. Každá rakev byla označena olověnou identifikační destičkou. Působením vzduchu dovedeného do krypt důmyslným systémem větracích kanálů došlo k jejich postupnému vysušení – k mumifikaci – tak, že dnes váží 8 – 10 kg. Větrací systém, jenž ústil až na střeše kostela, zajišťoval v katakombách relativně stálou teplotu a vlhkost vzduchu. Po dlouhá léta byla těla prakticky nedotčena.
Při opravě střechy jezuitského kostela ve 30. letech 20. století zasypali dělníci stavebním odpadem větrací šachty a kanály, které stoupaly zdivem pilířů až pod střešní římsu. Tím se zcela změnilo prostředí ve sklepení a převážná část mumií se rozpadla. Celkem 140 zničených mumií bylo v roce 1937 pohřbeno do hromadného hrobu na hřbitově sv. Jakuba v Klatovech. Místo uložení ostatků připomíná pamětní kámen s textem.
Katakomby, jež se během času staly významnou klatovskou památkou, atmosférou spojující věčnost s časností, připomínají nejen historii města a jezuitského řádu. Lze v nich pohlédnout do tváří těch, jejichž životy a činy se podílely na vytvoření dodnes viditelné tváře Klatov – k ní patří kostel, kolej, seminář, škola – gymnázium. Všechny tyto budovy vystavěli jezuité a výrazně tak změnili architekturu velké části jihozápadního města.
Ačkoliv dnes klatovské katakomby lze navštívit jako „samostatný objekt“, byly vždy součástí kostela. Původní vstup do katakomb byl z chrámové lodi, další pak z bývalé latinské školy (dnes komplex divadla).
Strážní bílá věž je dominantou města. Byla postavena okolo roku 1615. Sloužívala společně s opevněním města k ochraně před ničivými nájezdy z Uher. Její chloubou je hodinový stroj z roku 1900 a dva zvony, z nichž ten starší, bohatě zdobený „Svatý Josef“ ulitý roku 1719 byl uchráněn před vojenskými rekvizicemi během obou světových válek. Z výšky přes 20 metrů se nabízí ojedinělý pohled na město.
The crematorium in Nymburk is one of a very few quite rare purist buildings. The author of the plan from the year 1922 is architect Bedřich Feuerstein (he was born in 1892 in Dobrovnice and he died 1936 in Prague). He designed the building with the help of architect Bohumil Sláma. Feuerstein grew up in a nearby village Loučeň, where his father worked as administrator of the house of Thurn Taxis.
Feuerstein became famous for his interesting buildings realised in Japan in cooperation with Antonín Raymond. In Tokyo, it was St. Luke´s international hospital and USSR embassy, in Yokohama it was Rising Sun Petroleum Co. Ltd. He is also renowned for his avant-garde scenographic works for Liberated Theatre in Prague. The construction was carried out by the firm of architect Emil Prückner from Nymburk. The crematorium was officially handed over to the city on the 21st of September 1924.
The building of grammar school located in Komenský street 779 was built by a firm belonging to Otakar Nekvasil. It is constructed in Neo-Renaissance style in accordance with the designs of architect Ferdinand Havlíček who chose as his collaborator architect Jan Kříženecký. The construction was started in June 1906 and the school was officially opened on 22th of September 1907 as a general grammar school. At that time, it was reportedly the most beautiful and modern school in Austria-Hungary. Through the years, many Nymburk-born famous figures attended the school. The most well-known of them is undoubtedly the writer Bohumil Hrabal, who graduated there in 1934.
Some general repairs were carried out by the town between the years 1993 and 1994. The expense was 6 million Czech crowns. In the following years, the town once again invested into the modernization and collectively more than 25 million Czech crowns were spent between the years 1990 and 2011.
The extraordinary architecture of the most beautiful building in town caused it to be declared as a cultural monument in 2011.
Reconstruction of risalit in the courtyard was realised in 2013 and 2014. This has solved insufficient capacity of girl's sanitary facilities. A new elevator has secured access into the building for the disabled. The cost of this was 9 060 000 Czech crowns. The investor was the town.
At the end of the 19th century, the capacity of the wells and the old water tower (the Turkish Tower) wasn´t enough for the rapidly growing town, so the town within the overall modernization built entirely new water pipe and a water tower. In 1904, a beautiful Art Nouveau tower in the shape of chalice was built in accordance with a scheme by Osvald Polívka (co-author of the Municipal House in Prague). It´s still functional today. A rounded iron water tank is situated in the highest part of the tower: the bottom is 25 metres above the ground and the top of the roof, which offers a remarkable view into the streets of the town, is 37 metres above the ground. The cubic capacity of the tank is 380 m3. The modern water tower and the new drinking water distribution replaced at the beginning of the 20th century the hundred-year-old system that supplied five fountains with Elbe water. The owner of the water tower is Water Supply and Sewerage Nymburk.
The chapel is a preserved presbytery of the former convent abbey church of Virgin Mary Rosary.
It was part of an extensive monastery complex of the Dominican order. The Dominican monastery began to be constructed simultaneously with the founding of the town, sometime around the year 1275. King Ottokar II of Bohemia authorised the construction of the monastery on the condition that its outer side will be part of the fortification walls and it will complement the fortifications of the city from the direction of the River Elbe. The monastery buildings and the church were built in the late 13th century from bare brickwork, as well as the Church of St. Nicholas (today the Church of St. Giles) and the fortification wall. This construction technique was brought along with the Dutch colonists who solved the shortage of high-quality building stone in Polabí (Polabí is a traditional name for a lowland region located in the centre of Czech Republic). Local marl is not suitable for exterior application.
During the Hussite wars, the monastery was plundered and destroyed by the Hussites in 1424. The monks, there was about fifty of them, were driven out of the town. However, the church remained partially preserved, but at the site of the demolished convent were apparently established four new townhouses. A cannonball buried into the eastern backrest of the chapel testifies to the turbulent events of the Thirty Years' War. The bare monastery didn´t come back to the Dominicans until 1667. At the same year was laid a foundation stone of a new convent, situated to the south of the Gothic church. The construction was partially completed in 1674 and it was established as a Dominican community with a character of a hospice. In 1694, it was promoted to a priory, at the time inhabited by twelve monks. In 1771 was the church, including today´s chapel, renovated in a Baroque style and it´s Gothic visage was considerably changed. Reduced were not only the vaults, but also the windows, which were also remade in a different shape. All of these modifications are still very apparent, especially in the attic above the Baroque vaults. There can be seen preserved fragments of the Gothic vaults, which are considerably higher than the Baroque vaults. The attic space and one preserved original window of the chapel are for the time being accessible only through the building of a today´s school. But a new entrance in the form of a spiral staircase leading from a today´s gallery is expected to be built in the framework of the renovation of the chapel.
In 1785, within the extensive reforms by the emperor Joseph II, was the monastery community in Nymburk abolished. A part of the convent buildings, which at the time belonged to a religious fund, were bought by the town in 1819 and remade into a parish school.
Subsequently, the church was deconsecrated, its furniture was sold and the town established there a storeroom of hay, grain and straw. In another part, the townspeople set up a wine distillery. The frescoes in the cloister were painted over with a white paint. In 1857, a rich townsman Jan Nepomuk Zedra had the presbytery modified as a chapel for the needs of school children (a tombstone bearing his name is in the chapel to this day). A town hall and a theatre were built on the site of the ruined church nave in 1871. Only the side pillars resembled the original mighty Gothic building. On the site of this town hall was later built Hálek theatre, inaugurated on the 13th November 1936.
After further minor adjustments for the school´s purposes was the Dominican complex greatly reconstructed in two stages in two following years. A new east wing for boy´s school was built in the first phase in 1882. In the second phase, which occurred from 1889 to 1891, a southern wing was built for girl´s school.
Thus was completed both famous and infamous history of the Dominican monastery. A primary school resides in the newly renovated building, and its tower clock once again shows the time as it did in the monastery times.
A general reconstruction of the Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk was initiated by the town in 2012. After the completion, it is supposed to serve as a multifunctional cultural hall, which is even now, in 2010, used primarily as a stylish space for exhibitions and concerts with an amazing acoustics.
On demand of a Nymburk citizen Samuel Benátský (SAB – the initials on the pedestal are his, the A is the first letter in the name of his wife), who was an official over the administration of the bridge, streets and the town walls, Jan Brokoff created the statue of St. Jan Nepomucký in 1696. Initially, the statue including the niche, were part of a Baroque house (number 272 in Mostecká Street) that was destroyed in the sixties. The niche with the statue stand at their original place close to the road bridge over the river Elbe.
The ferroconcrete road bridge with three arches that vault into two support pillars is a technical monument from the year 1912. It was first of its kind in Czech Republic. It was built by the construction company of Prague-born Karel Herzáň, M.Eng., according to the scheme by the architect František Roith. A general reconstruction of the bridge was carried out in 1998. The bridge stands at the place of the original wooden bridge, which was mentioned even in the oldest references to the town. The entrance from the town was through the Mostecká gate (it burned down in 1838) and on the other side it was through the Zálabská gate (it burned down in 1589). The historical wooden bridge, which was repeatedly damaged by floods, replaced a prehistoric ford in the 13th century.
The original Renaissance water tower was built from bricks and stones in 1597 after the collapse of the older wooden building. It supplied Elbe water to five fountains in connection with the nearby mill (today called Šafaříkův) until the beginning of the 20th century. It´s a three-story water tower with an irregular ten-cornered floor plan. It was apparently converted to water tower from a fortification tower. Southern entrance is equipped with a Renaissance sandstone portal. This tower, called Turkish, is an exceptionally interesting technical monument. It was gradually reconstructed by the town from 1990 to 2012. It cost 5 511 400 Czech crowns.
The fortification of the town was built shortly after the establishment of the town in 1275, particularly during the reign of king Wenceslas II, which was from 1288 to 1305.Part of the gradually built fortification were two kinds of walls (from marl and from bricks). Of these, the only part still preserved that is made from the original mass is a brick section with six towers adjacent to the River Elbe around the area of the harbour. A romanticized reconstruction of this section was carried out by the architect Ludvík Lábler in the years 1905-1909 according to the model of German fortified cities. Front side of the main wall with evenly spaced towers (there used to be around fifty towers and four entrance gates), which open in the direction of the town, was built from very firm firebricks.
The core of the walls was made from a resistant mixture of marl brash and lime mortar. The wall was over 1600 metres long and about 7 or 8 metres high. The towers were 3 metres higher than the wall.
Entrance to the town was enabled by four gates – Svatojiřská, Velelibská, Bobnická and Mostecká. The biggest and the most beautiful was Mostecká gate. The gate had a tower clock that was surrounded by two walls of different height. This gate was guarding a path that led to the town from the south (in the direction away from the river). It was constructed in relation with a wooden bridge in the last stage of the construction of the fortification around the year 1335. A fifth, smaller gate called Fortna, ensured access to the river (at that place was apparently the original entrance into the city over the old bridge, which replaced the prehistoric ford) and stood close to the corner of the royal castle – the so-called Stone House. Unfortunately, none of the gates remained preserved to this day. Some of the gates weren´t repaired after a great fire of the city in 1838 and they were demolished due to enlargement of the streets during the nineteenth century and at the beginning of the twentieth century.
All the remains of the brick parts of the wall which belong to the town (area around the harbour and in Hradební and Tyršova street) were gradually restored from 2000 to 2006 by the town. It cost 8 977 000 Czech crowns.
Absolutely unique in Czech Republic are both surviving water moats (Malé Valy and Velké Valy). The river water flows through the moats to this day. The flow of Velké Valy precisely borders the plan of urban conservative area, which is the historical core of the town.
The mill has been standing in this area since the Medieval Times. Its gears propelled even the pumping equipment in the adjacent Turkish tower, the municipal Renaissance water tower from the year 1597, which supplied Elbe water to five town fountains. The oldest preserved object is a two-wing building of a grinding plant with mansard roof, located on the south-east corner of today´s property, which originates from Baroque times.
The first reconstruction of the mill took place in 1878 (the owner was Václav Radimský). A new large object of an artistic mill was built onto the western wall of the Baroque building. The remains of the technological equipment are still preserved in the interior. For example hoppers, industrial mixer, sieves, pocket lifts and other equipment. During the regulation of the river Elbe and the consequent construction of power plant and a lock (1914-1924) was abolished a weir on the river and the mill was converted to electric drive of a nearby power plant. Simultaneously was realised an extension onto the Baroque part of the mill and a new machinery was fitted in. The last reconstruction was carried out in 1943, when was built an apartment building in the site of a wooden unit in the east of the area. The last operating mill owner was František Šafařík.
The Šafařík mill in Nymburk is one of the last mostly intact preserved large river mills not only on the river Elbe, but in the entire Central Bohemia. Its very extensive constructional development with well-preserved and apparent remains originating from Baroque times to the times of traditionalism of the first half of the 20th century make it, along with the monumental facades, one of the most valuable buildings in the urban historical zone in Nymburk (it was declared a historical zone in 1992). Simultaneously, it is one of the most valued technical buildings in Nymburk region and it is also one of the most valued relics of milling industry in Central Bohemia. It should be undoubtedly registered as a historical monument. The mill is a private property.
The house of the townsman Václav Hlava from Kyršfeld (the so-called Hlava´s house), was created by the reconstruction of two original houses in the second half of the 16th century, as is evidenced by the date in the inscription on the architrave of the Renaissance entablature. The entablature is currently situated over the entrance into the house number 165 on the Přemysl square.
The inscription reads: “WACLAW HLAWA OF NYMBURK – KATERZINA WIFE OF HIS 1586”. It burned down in 1631 during the Thirty Years' War and then in the year 1838. The arcade was apparently abolished after the second fire. It was modified in the Classicist style in 1886.
In remembrance of an event which befell the citizens of the royal town Nymburk at the beginning of the 18th century stands to this day on the Přemysl square a plague column (also called Marian column). It is an actual plague column built after overcoming a plague epidemic, which affected the town in 1713. Due to the well-functioning flow of the Elbe water through the water moats (Malé Valy and Velké Valy) was the town affected by the epidemic relatively little. The citizens fell victim to the plague in 1549, 1563, 1598, 1606 and 1713. Four years after the last death caused by the plague was erected a sandstone plague column at the main square, which became a central artistic theme of the town centre. The dating of the erection of the column can be read off the Latin inscription on its pedestal.
Authorship of the Baroque plague column and sculptural group with the Virgin Mary at the top and with sculptures of St. Giles, St. Joseph, St. Wenceslaus and St. Florian is attributed to Jan Jiří Šlanzovský. It dates to 1717 and it is 13,4 metres high. At the present day (August 2013), the general repairs of the column had been commenced, since it is statically seriously impaired and all of the sculptures need a restoration. It will be finalized by the end of the year 2014. The expenses will be at least 1,5 million Czech crowns.
St. Wenceslaus – a duke of Bohemia, he was chosen for placement at the plinth of the column as a patron saint of the Czech state.
St. Florian – a martyr, he has been a protector against water and fire since the beginning of the Middle Ages. His attribute is a pitcher of water for extinguishing a burning house. Nymburk suffered throughout its existence many devastating fires, so it´s no wonder that St. Florian was chosen as one of the protectors of the town.
St. Giles – a hermit saint, he is a patron paint of the crippled and the poor. During the Middle Ages, he was one of the most popular saints in western Europe. His attributes are, according to the legends, an arrow and a doe. Since 1636, the Church of St. Giles has been consecrated to him and that is the reason for his placement on the column. His feast is on the 1st of September, so he initiates an annually held village fair.
St. Joseph - displayed with the infant Jesus in his arms, he concludes the quartet of saints on the column, and his placement there is a “family matter”.
In the 16th century, a part of the house n. 166 in today´s street U Staré Sladovny were various devices designated not only for production of malt, but also for brewing and storage of beer. During the Thirty Years' War the upper parts of the building were destroyed. However, the underground part of the production facilities (including the wonderfully preserved continuing cellars in adjoining building, which served as a threshing place) have survived to the present day. They were discovered in 1996 by an archaeological rescue team. The renovated Renaissance malt house is an unique evidence of brewing beer not only in Nymburk, but also in Czech Republic. The landmark is freely accessible during weekdays.
A part of Gothic royal castle that was set up by Ottokar II of Bohemia concurrently with the town (it stood in the place of today´s District Court, on the southern side of Kostelní square) was used as the seat of the first municipal magistrate. It was rather a house from stone than a castle. It had a round corner tower and it was built onto the walls right next to Fortna gate. This fortified settlement was referred to as a Stone House and served to the potential needs of any sovereign who would on his travels around the kingdom visit Nymburk. The existence of municipal magistrate was first mentioned in 1293. The castle also served as a place for assemblies of Czech nobility.
The oldest town hall was built in 14th century on the corner of the southern side of the square (it was formerly house number 14, now it serves as a bank), not far from the entrance of a bridge over the River Elbe. The councillors gathered in this Gothic house to the year 1526, when the house ceased to meet the needs of the thriving city. Since 1526, the town councillors could gather in a new opulent building, located in the northern corner of the western side of the square. They had the new town hall built in 1524-1526, but it wasn´t completely finished until 1546. The original construction had extensive Renaissance decorations – a beautiful Renaissance gable facing the square, small towers and a main tower with a clock and two bells. An arcade was opened in the square, a bay window or a PAVLAČ protruded from the frontage in the 1st floor. The portal and the frontage were decorated with paintings, as were the arches under the arcade. It was first vandalised by the Saxons in 1631 and 1634, then it was vandalised by the Swedes in 1639. It burned down in 1686 and it was reconstructed very carelessly. It was inappropriately modified in a Classicist style, the arcade was walled up, the windows were abated and the gable was plastered after the great fire of the town in 1838. Only a historical crest and a few small-sized sculptures remained. The building remained in this desolate state for several long decades. In the pre-war years, (1936-1939) the town hall underwent a great reconstruction for the needs of the former district office, which at least partially remedied the inappropriate modifications. To this day are preserved stucco decorations of the space behind the MAZHAUZ to the right by the street and a stone panel with a Latin inscription. In the exterior, an original Renaissance stone crest of the town (dated 1546), a part of windows with a profiled jamb, a stone panel with an embossed clown head, a small stone panel with an embossed picture of a sun, an extensive Renaissance portal and a relief of man´s head with a beard (probably a portrait of the Renaissance architect) remain preserved. A part of a preserved planked decking of the ceiling is stored in a local museum, the only preserved part of the extensively painted beamed ceiling (a similar ceiling can be seen only in a house number 126 on the Přemysl square, which used to be a residence of the noble Morzin family – today, it´s a pharmacy). In addition, in the ground floor entrance of the MAZHAUZ with a central pillar that carries the vault was installed a bronze sculpture of the Czech lion holding a crest of the town. The sculpture was made by Břetislav Benda.
A general reconstruction of the town hall and in its extension along Boleslavská street was carried out in 2003 and 2004. It cost 47 million Czech crowns. Since the begging of 2005, a part of the city office resides in the building.
© 2012 Czechinform | Designed by LIPSUM MEDIA